top of page


  • Rental Income
    Records of income and expenses Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Dependent(s) Information
    Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes. Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable Income of dependents and of other adults in your home Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)
  • Self-Employed
    Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on1099-MISC or new 1099-NEC Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation Office in home information, if applicable Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Personal Information
    Tax Identification Numbers are mandatory items on your checklist. All taxpayers will need the following to do their taxes. Your social security number or tax ID number Your spouse’s full name, social security number or tax ID number, and date of birth Information about your stimulus payment — also known as an economic impact payment (EIP) — if applicable — you may have IRS Notice 1444 or other records showing your EIP amount Identity Protection PIN, if one has been issued to you, your spouse, or your dependent by the IRS Routing and account numbers to receive your refund by direct deposit or pay your balance due if you choose
  • Sources of Income
    Many of these forms won’t be needed to file taxes every year. For example, you will only receive the investment forms you may need to file your taxes if you had distributions or other activity.
  • Retirement Income
    Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R) Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed) Social security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  • Employed
    Forms W-2
  • Unemployed
    Unemployment (1099-G)
  • Savings & Investments or Dividends
    Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV) Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S) Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B) Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC) Expenses related to your investments Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES) Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)
  • Other Income & Losses
    Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records) Jury duty records Hobby income and expenses Prizes and awards Trust income Royalty Income 1099–MISC Any other 1099s received Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN State tax refund
  • Home Ownership
    Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements Real estate and personal property tax records Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater) All other 1098 series forms
  • Federally Declared Disaster
    City/county you lived/worked/had property in Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.) Records of rebuilding/repair costs Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid FEMA assistance information
  • Childcare Expenses
    Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler Amounts paid to a baby-sitter or provider care of your child under age 13 while you work Expenses paid through a dependent care flexible spending account at work
  • Educational Expenses
    Forms 1098-T from educational institutions Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest
  • Charitable Donations
    Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations Records of non-cash charitable donations Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
  • Retirement & Other Savings
    Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions Form 5498 showing IRA contributions All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
  • K-12 Educator Expenses
    Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
  • Medical Expenses
    Amounts paid for healthcare, insurance, and to doctors, dentists, and hospitals
  • State & Local Taxes
    Amount of state and local income or sales tax paid (other than wage withholding) Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid and / or personal property tax on vehicles
  • Health Insurance
    Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
bottom of page